Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Birthday Girl

Well, it happened. My baby girl turned one. ONE. As in one whole year old. As in 12 whole months since she came into this world. 52 weeks. 365 days. You get the idea. ONE!

To celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime milestone (I guess that could be said of all birthdays, no?), we had not one, but TWO parties. Maybe it was because our house isn't big enough to fit everyone at once. Maybe it was because we just wanted to spread the celebration out. I'll never tell.

Since her actual birthday fell on a Wednesday, the two weekends before and after made perfect celebratory bookends. The first weekend went to friends, and let me tell you, I have a lot of friends who have little kiddos. A lot. There were 14 children in our house at once, 11 of whom were under the age of 2. Add to that a playhouse, a castle with a crawl tunnel, a dozen balloons, and 52 polka-dot cupcakes (don't ask me how we arrived at 52), and you have one heckuva party!

Unfortunately I did not have the presence of mind to take any pictures of all the decor and deliciousness before the crowd descended upon us. Something about a first time mom running around frantically trying to get her daughter's first birthday perfect before guests arrived. Or something. I did manage to snap a few shots during the party, however.

And of course, I got some of the infamous cake smash (that in Ali's case turned out to be more of a cake pinch).

And here we are, the happy (if somewhat shell-shocked) family!

The next weekend was the family party. It was so wonderful having all of Ali's grandparents and many of Ali's great-grandparents, not to mention a few aunts, uncles, and cousins, present.

 This time I remembered to get some decor shots.
 My aunt came armed with balloon-animal paraphernalia--what a hit!
Ali got a ton of cool presents, but I think one of her favorites is her new baby doll, whom she feeds with a bottle. It was incredible to watch her learn how to do this so quickly!

It was a wonderful week, from party to birthday to party, getting a chance to celebrate our sweet girl's first year with all those who love her.

No comments: