Monday, December 31, 2007

falling off the wagon, crossing items off the list, and more

We had a crazy busy holiday season! It was positively delightful having so much family in town and having so many parties to attend. And now it's delightful having none of those things and getting a bit of a breather.

Thanks to our busy holiday schedule, a brief hiatus on organized team practices, and a miserable little cold, I've fallen off the workout wagon these last two weeks. It's been easy to do since every minute of our days has been spoken for and because I know that come January 3rd we'll be hitting it hard every day until May 4. That, and it's been cold! But now I have some awesome cold-weather gear, more free time, a healthy immune system, and no more excuses. The break was good for my mind and body, but now I'm ready to jump back on the wagon and get going.

Now for the list:
#68: I gave bundles of personalized stationary to my cousin and grandmother. I think they looked quite festive with their bright red bows!I also gave homemade truffles to my coworkers. So while all my gifts weren't homemade, I did make a few of them. That totally counts.

#84: check! It was wonderful having my parents, sister, and brother here for Christmas. We took my parents to see the big Christmas tree and the trail of lights (my mom has pictures from that outing - I'll have to add them in later!) and had great times playing Beyond Balderdash and James Bond Scene It. We all enjoyed it so much I think we've agreed to make it a family tradition (having our family Christmas here, not playing JBSI)! Alex's parents visited the next weekend, and we introduced them to horseshoes (Alex's dad is a natural!) and took them to the county park by our house. While it's nice having the house to ourselves, it becomes more of a home when it's filled with the laughter and voices of many.

#92: While at Alex's company Christmas dinner, I knew I was going to order the grilled salmon. So instead of getting my usual beer, I ordered...wait for it...a pinot grigio. Important details to note: I knew white wine went with fish and red wine with beef; I picked wine over beer; and I enjoyed it! (I also enjoyed the second glass, but damn if I wasn't asleep five minutes into the ride home. It certainly does have a different effect than beer!) Oh, AND, I held it by it's step, swirled it, sniffed it, and then sipped. I didn't spit, but just the fact that I know that's the fourth step counts for something, right?? In googling it just now to make sure that I spelled it correctly, I came across this article--apparently some would think that my one encounter with pinot grigio is the wine equivalent of eating a Spamwich. I pay them as much mind as those beer drinkers out there who can no longer enjoy a Lone Star--I pity you and the jail cell of sophistication you've built around yourself. Tsk, tsk.

There are other tasks in the works. I've got six months left to go and my potted plants are looking a little paltry but still alive. I just finished Water for Elephants (which I enjoyed very much if any of you are considering reading it), so I think now is as good a time as any to start The Brothers Karamazov. I can do about 15 full length push-ups, so more than halfway on that one. My major TNT fundraising event is in the works (thanks 100% to Dawn, my wedding coordinator and my very own fairy godmother). And we're getting dressed up for New Year's tonight and going downtown--not an exact hit for #47, but we did go on a date downtown last night, which is more in line with the spirit of that task...

I hope this finds you all well and rested and pleasantly plump from all the holiday fruitcake. Happy New Year!

-KC

No comments: