Monday, March 22, 2010

Planting Trees (#30)

See that? Right after the two words in the title? Could it be??? An actual reference to my 101 list! No, I haven't forgotten about my 101 goals. We got a little . . . sidetracked. I guess that happens when you become parents. But have no fear! I remember that my 1001 days are rapidly drawing to a close, and I am still looking for ways to accomplish my goals.

Today's success: planting trees!

Our city had a grand opening party a couple of weeks ago to celebrate the official opening of the new park area by the lake. At the party, the Parks and Rec department was giving away tree saplings. Score! Unfortunately, by the time we got there, all the trees had been given out (don't think I didn't give the side eye to a family who walked by with five of them). Boo. But I talked to the woman who was in charge of the giveaway, and she said that she would be happy to drop a tree at the local rec center the next day for me to pick up at my leisure. Score! Unfortunately, when I went by the rec center, no tree had been left. Boo. I left my name and number and hoped to not get lost in the shuffle. The woman called me that very evening, apologizing profusely, and offered to drive the trees over herself--that's right, treeS. Plural. I got a freebie free tree because she felt bad she had forgotten about me. Total SCORE!

The trees--a live oak and a bald cypress--then sat on our counter for a week as we went through day after day without being able to find the time (or accommodating weather) in which to make our little green jaunt down to the lake. The cypress actually started sprouting. On our counter. Yikes.

Today the weather was beautiful, so Ali and I carpe diem'ed and headed out!

We picked a great spot by the marshy bird sanctuary corner of the lake, right at the head of the pathway to the lake so that our trees will always be easy to find. The live oak went to the left of the trail, the bald cypress to the right.
Problem: a shovel that won't unfold. Note to self: throw away useless rusty shovels so that you aren't falsely reliant on them in the future.Problem solved: luckily I had also brought along our only other gardening tool, which google tells me is called a "three-pronged cultivator."Clearly Ali was very excited to be helping me cross another goal off my list. Success #1: live oak planted!Success #2: bald cypress planted!You can see both trees in this shot. No? Well, both trees are visible in this shot, at least. The live oak is a little hard to see in the background. But it's there. Oh, it's there alright.Here's Ali lovingly looking over our green deed for the day. What's that you say? Looks like she's totally ignoring me and playing with her toy instead? Eh . . . moving on . . . Hooray!! Success!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Two high fives!

ashley said...

awesome! the last pic is too cute! she's totally cheering you on :-)