Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Giving Thanks

Alex and I were eating dinner on campus earlier this week--a place called the Spicy Pickle. It was your iconic college eatery--small, spare, a little dirty. As we ate, I looked at the other patrons, almost all college students, and thought about the differences between me and them. I was amazed to realize that I didn't envy them--not their freedom, not their lack of responsibility, not their ability to spend their entire lives in T-shirts and flip-flops. I realized that I wouldn't trade what I have now for the ability to go back to being a student.

It would be easy to focus on the difficulties and disappointments this year has brought with it, but it is easier still for me to put aside those thoughts and give thanks for all of the amazing opportunities and experiences it has brought as well: an amazing trip to Ireland; my first half-marathon and Olympic-distance triathlon and the beginning of a journey to my first half-ironman; my first races with my brother and my mom; a great trip out to visit my sister in her new home; our first house; furnishing our first house; a not-so-gentle reminder to take care of myself and be alert for signs of problems and proactive about getting potential problems taken care of; another year of health and silliness for my cats; family and friends who are constantly supportive; and the world's greatest husband, my best friend, who has laughed with me, cried with me, challenged me, supported me, and given me strength when I lacked it. I am so thankful for every part of my life this year.

So thankful, in fact, that I wouldn't trade it for what had previously been the best time of my life. That was pretty cool to realize.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

KC

No comments: